There no items in your cart.
Checkout
MJTRENDS

apprentice

Latex gluing tips?

I'm having a heck of a time getting my seams to adhere properly. I've tried several types of cement (including the solvent-based one sold here), am careful to clean and dry the latex, have tried letting the glue dry anywhere from ten minutes to 24 hours before adhering, and have let the seam sure for up to a week, but get the same results every time: as soon as the seam is stressed, it peels open. 

I'm at my wits' end after a month of experimentation. Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Response by: Chloe, August 2nd 2014 11:47:04 am

I would guess you are using a standard seam like when you sew garments.  That doesn't work with latex.  The seam will pull apart every time.

You have to lay the material directly on top of each other.  Check out this tutorial if you haven't watched it already:

https://mjtrends.com/tutorial,How-to-make-a-basic-latex-seam

The adhesives at mjtrends will form a bond that will hold stronger than the material itself when you make a seam following this method.

Response by: balisane, August 2nd 2014 11:58:41 am

That's exactly the method I used with MJ's adhesive: still no luck, unfortunately. Could the weather have something to do with it? It's been fairly humid here lately. 

Response by: Chloe, August 2nd 2014 1:32:02 pm

Can you post a video of what you are doing?  That would be the best way for people to understand what you may be doing wrong.

The weather should have no affect.

Response by: Andre , August 3rd 2014 12:54:08 pm

Do you thin the glue with the cleaning/thinning fluid? I wipe the seam with white spirits before I apply the glue. The latex curl up after the glue is applied. I wait until it goes flat again then I stick the two pieces together. Does the glue go dull before you stick the two pieces together. If the humidity is very high and the latex is cold it might prevent the solvent based glue from gluing properly. Industrial rubber liner don't glue when the humidity is too high. Post a pick of the seen before you glue it.   

Response by: balisane, August 4th 2014 4:13:09 am

It's taking me a bit to get it together to post a video, but I'll likely shoot it tomorrow (later today) when the sun is up. 

Response by: antrices, September 6th 2014 4:15:58 pm

I would say the thicker latex is better for glueing.

Response by: latexgood, October 17th 2014 7:08:41 am

As Others Said Just Give The Solvent Based Glue Just Enough Time To Flatten Out Again. Also I'd Give The Finnished Seam Aroud 24 Hours To dry.

Response by: JP, December 23rd 2014 2:32:39 pm

In case this thread might help someone else...

Is it possible the surface of the latex has something on it that's preventing the glue from adhering properly?  Contaminants could be release compounds from manufacturing of the sheet, any sort of polish or shine, oil from your fingers, anything other than a fresh, bare rubber surface.

This is often an issue when patching something that's been worn, you really need to get the surface clean.  Industrially, tire shops use a "liquid buffer" for that sort of cleaning.  

Sometimes, the surface simply isn't gluable, for example, if it's been chlorinated.  Then you need to physically buff the surface with very fine sandpaper to expose gluable latex.  Otherwise, even the best cements won't chemically bond, and will peel when stretched.