There no items in your cart.
Checkout
MJTRENDS

apprentice

Laser Cutting

Hi,

I have a 5.5W diode laser cutter that I have been using to trial cutting latex of various thicknesses and colors. I was wondering what the settings were that you use for your latex trim/lace? 

I am finding that the cuts are not coming out super good and I have to use a really slow  movement setting on max power which I think is causing it to melt problematically. 

Any thoughts or suggestions and or if you can point me to a good cutter that you recommend (CO2 may be an option?). 

All the best

Tim

Response by: mlurk, July 29th 2021 8:00:23 pm

The best option is the get a CO2 laser cutter. It gets hot enough to vaporize the latex before it has a chance to melt. Just need the proper settings for latex.

Response by: Timdaytemp, August 1st 2021 1:58:11 pm

Do you have any suggestions for a model. Seems they go for 40 w up to 100 or so and pricing varies.

Did you get a chinese model or us model? Just trying to understand best options as it seems the chinese variations need a lot of tinkering and upgrades etc

Response by: mlurk, August 1st 2021 4:07:25 pm

I haven't purchased one yet but I have been doing a lot of research into this.

Have a look at this youtube video. In the description it has more information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmET_w2kbYI

This product is here

https://vevoritemplazza.aliexpress.com/store/1802235?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000008.6.6eb6475fL7uRN8

or maybe you can still use your diode laser cutter but using the same technique as in the video, but upping the wattage to the max just make up for the extra thickness of the tape.??? Don't know if it will work, all you can do is try it.

Response by: Timdaytemp, August 1st 2021 4:21:35 pm

Yeah. I saw that video. 

I think I gotta mess with the diode one and get the right laser focus length. 

I did some other tests prior and it was better. But suspect co2 is better. Just want to avoid the ooze factor when its cut as this time it was a lot and smelled aweful ( picture burning tires)

Will play a bit more before co2 purchase as when I do that it will be large format

Response by: mlurk, August 1st 2021 4:42:50 pm

The problem with latex is no matter the machine you get it will still have that smell problem, unless you have good ventilation with the machine you finally purchase. I haven't purchased anything yet because I don't know if I just want to do the basic cutting of logos or go all out and create latex lace for catsuits, stockings, bodysuits, lattice designs for hoods or maybe just a basic design repeated a number of times to be sold.

Response by: Timdaytemp, August 1st 2021 6:09:23 pm

Yeah. I am in the same boat. 

I want to figure it out to get the process down. I am sure there is a way to do it and get clean cuts with minimal melting.

I know the tape idea but doesnt seem practical for larger quantities and larger designs ( think laser cut dress for eg. )

I wonder what mj trends uses for their lace designs ... admin???? 

Response by: mlurk, August 2nd 2021 3:05:08 pm

I just thought of something. In the printing industry, which I am involved in, there is a product that is called pre-mask or transfer tape. It is for masking vinyl shapes to hold it's place before mounting on a window. Also you probably could use this to stick to the back of latex and cut what you want and remove the tape after you are done cutting.This "transfer tape" comes in different widths from 12" to 64" and is not as sticky as masking tape so no more rolling out tape for the full width of the latex. One piece of latex for one piece of tape.

Response by: JP, August 4th 2021 6:33:03 pm

Do you have air assist on your diode laser? It makes for much cleaner cuts - besides blowing the cut clear of debris and goo, it cools the material next to the cut so you get a narrower, cleaner cut.

Response by: JP, August 4th 2021 6:35:12 pm

mlurk is spot on, the wider masking/transfer tapes are exactly what you want for large sheets of material. 

Response by: JP, August 4th 2021 6:40:23 pm

Oh, but, don't use transfer tape made from vinyl - vinyl has nasty emissions when laser cutting. Look for *paper* transfer tape, e.g., Vinyl Ease Paper Transfer Tape or TapeManBlue Transfer Tape, both available on Amazon.

Response by: Timdaytemp, August 4th 2021 10:32:27 pm

Thanks for the advice. 

Am going to play with diode and also try a k40. If I can get it down, then will invest in a larger fabrication model that can handle much larger sheets. 

Idea is to see if automation can occur to help reduce opex on this process.stay tuned as I think its possible 😀 

Response by: BarbieDan, August 24th 2021 7:32:13 pm

I use a 5W diode laser. Works pretty good if you ask me. I adjust the intensity and speed depending on the fabric (or effect like etching). I find the burn goo can be minimized by adhering paper (black) front and back with spray glue. It helps a lot, but I find I don’t bother because the setup time is annoying.  I just spend more time on the back end cleaning the cut edges. I use my laser in the detached garage for smell. It’s brutal. 

Response by: Jackel433, September 2nd 2021 3:15:38 pm

Hi Tim

I've been looking into CO2 Laser lately an I saw to eliminate the sticky goo that the laser makes the best way was is with masking tape on each side of the latex. And he was using low power. There's a video on you tube that showed him doing it. I wanted to be able to use the co2 laser for latex but was afraid it may be to powerful. I've look everywhere for more info and can't find much. I'll see if I can find it

Steve M

Response by: CarolGray, September 22nd 2021 4:31:04 am

Yes, that's where duct tape saves the day [anchor](https://999.md/)