There no items in your cart.
Checkout
MJTRENDS

no ironing...?

I drew a pattern and made a jersey mockup of a pencil skirt that fits pretty well, and now I\'m ready to use it to make a fishtail dress that looks as much like this: www.mlo.me/upen/v/201001/Latex-Hollywood-Tease-Dress-15889-2.jpg as possible, without the stripes, and maybe without the top. I\'ll take any advice you can think of, but I have a couple questions.

1. I know you have to iron like crazy to make clothes look professional, and I\'m worried about not being able to flatten seams and hems with an iron. how do you keep seams from getting lumpy?

2. how do you pin things together without puncturing the fabric?

3. you can\'t make darts in PVC? why not? 

4. does the fishtail part of this dress have to be cut on the bias?

thanks for any advice!

Response by: Michael, November 9th 2012 8:18:27 pm

Ironing:

You can iron vinyl on low heat to get wrinkles out - just be very very careful.  If it gets too hot the first thing that will happen is the vinyl will pull away from the backing and of course if your iron is way too hot it could melt the vinyl.

Pinning:

You can either pin in an area inside the seam (so it won\'t show), or you can use paper clips like these: http://www.photo-dictionary.com/photofiles/list/5311/6966paper_clamps.jpg

Darts:

You can make darts in vinyl fabric.  The problem is that it's a stiff fabric - so you need to be careful how you use them and make sure that you structure the dart so that it doesn't pucker.